Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Early days

I went to the Indiana School Board Association candidate forum in Lafayette last evening, with Michael Burtron, who is also running for a city seat in May. (Remember, there are two city seats, so you can support two candidates.) There was some great information presented about what school boards do, and what they don't do, and ethical guidelines for school board members.

They also gave us some reading material, so I have homework to do! The ISBA puts on educational programs for school board members several times a year, so in essence you go to "school board school" after you're elected, to help you up the learning curve. The Lebanon Community School Corporation has an annual budget around $32 million, and with 450 or so employees is, I believe, the largest employer in the city. Between setting educational policy, taking care of school facilities and negotiating contracts, the school board has a big job. Everything I'm learning makes me more excited to take on the challenge.

I'm planning to do more active campaigning a little later, once the evenings are a bit warmer and lighter. These winter days are a good time to get my homework done. Thank you for reading, and please let me know what your concerns are about the Lebanon Community School Corporation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do moderate comments for civility.